- 2 medium or large eggplants
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini / sesame seed paste
- 1 lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- Parsley, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Olive oil
- Prepare a grill or preheat a broiler. Prick the eggplant skin with a fork or skewer to allow steam to escape while cooking.
- Grill or broil the eggplants for about 15 to 30 minutes, turning frequently until the eggplants are charred and slightly wrinkled. Let the eggplants cool briefly (just enough time to take a picture or two).
- If it didn’t already explode while cooking, split the eggplants and scoop out the flesh. Discard the skin. Using a fork, squeeze out excess moisture from the eggplants and drain the bitter liquid.
- Mash the eggplants with a fork until creamy. Add the finely minced garlic, tahini, and lemon juice slowly while mixing. Season with salt and add the ground cumin (if you are using it). Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
Top with coarsely chopped parsley and/or drizzle with olive oil. Serve with freshly baked pita bread wedges.